We have a bunch of great news to share with Apple fans today! The Cupertino based tech giant has decided to release new versions of its iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS operating systems and they are rolling out right now. The new operating system updates focus on bringing the necessary features and software support so that all the new video services that Apple announced during its March 25th event will run without any issues.
With that said, today we are going to check out the patch notes that Apple has included in the new releases of iOS, macOS, watchOS and tVOS so that all Apple fans can get a pretty good idea of what’s coming their way and why they should download the new operating system updates as soon as possible.
The update that everyone is waiting for is iOS 12.3. This is a major operating system update and it introduces new features for AirPlay 2 and for the Apple TV app.
- AirPlay 2 now supports sharing videos, photos, music and more from your iPhone and iPad directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV
- One-tap playback automatically plays your chosen TV show or movie on the last screen you used based on time and location
- Intelligent suggestions are all done on-device so your personal information stays private
Apple TV app
- The Apple TV app features an all-new design that highlights expertly curated collections and personalized recommendations
- Apple TV channels offer subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more, available to watch directly in the Apple TV app, online or off
- Subscriptions to Apple TV channels can be shared with up to six family members, with no new apps, accounts, or passwords needed
- New-release movies are available to buy or rent in the Apple TV app, including the full catalog of over 100,000 movies and the largest selection of 4K HDR titles
- A new dedicated kids section helps you discover editorially handpicked shows and movies safe for kids of all ages
- The Apple TV app can now intelligently suggest playing to the most likely Apple TVs or AirPlay 2-enabled TVs nearby
Bug Fixes & Improvements
- Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view
- Apple Music’s For You tab now updates multiple times a day suggesting music based on themes like genres, artists, and moods you love
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Apple TV Remote from pausing video, controlling video, or changing volume on supported receivers
- Addresses an issue that could cause calls made using Wi-Fi calling to drop
- Fixes an issue where song information from a connected iPhone may not appear in a car’s display
Apple TV users should be pleased to know that tvOS 12.3 is also rolling out today. Here are the patch notes for the new update:
- Apple TV app: Now available on Apple TV (3rd generation), the Apple TV app gives you one place to watch all of your favorite shows and movies across all of your devices. Subscribe to just the Apple TV channels you want. Browse thousands of titles from the iTunes Store that you can buy or rent. And get recommendations for shows and movies based on everything you watch.
macOS Mojave 10.14.5 is the most important update that Apple is rolling out today. This update is bringing AirPlay 2 support to Macs alongside a bunch of other high-priority software changes and bug fixes.
- Adds AirPlay 2 support for sharing videos, photos, music, and more from your Mac directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV.
- Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view.
- Improves audio latency on MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018.
- Fixes an issue that prevented certain very large OmniOutliner and OmniPlan documents from rendering properly.
- Disables accessories with insecure Bluetooth connections.
- Fixes an issue that prevented resetting the user account password from the login window after using a personal recovery key (PRK) to unlock the FileVault volume.
- Fixes an issue that prevented the InstalledApplicationList MDM command from recognizing that updates are available for apps installed via VPP.
Last but not least, we have watchOS 5.2.1. Apple’s latest Watch Series 4 is dubbed as the “best smartwatch” available in the world and the new operating system is going to take the performances of Apple’s smartwatches to the next level. With that said, let’s go over the patch notes:
- ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 now available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland, and Slovakia
- Irregular-heart-rhythm notifications now available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland, and Slovakia
- Fixes an issue where the numbers on the Explorer face would not appear for some users